Date:      25 Nov 1999 21:05:41 +0100
From:      Thierry.Besancon@lps.ens.fr
To:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Thierry.Besancon@lps.ens.fr
Subject:   Re: running linux binaries from ext2fs partition

Dixit "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com> (le Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:20:16 -0500 (EST)) :

>> > Whenever I run an executable residing in the mfs /tmp, it justs hangs
>> > the kernel :
>>
>> I also mount a MFS on /tmp.  I tried copying ls, find, emacs onto /tmp
>> and ran them from there.  Works fine for me in 3.3-stable.  But there's
>> something odd in your mounts:

Do remember that I have no swap available.

>> > Filesystem                 1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> > mfs:61                          3935     1431     2190    40%    /var
>> > /var/tmp                        3935     1431     2190    40%    /tmp
>>
>> You're remounting a subdir of /var onto /tmp?  Wouldn't a symlink be
>> a better choice here?  That is, don't mount /var/tmp onto /tmp.  Instead,
>> make /tmp a symlink that points to /var/tmp.  Try that and see if you
>> still get the crashes.

Well, I do the way /etc/rc.diskless2 does :

        if [ ! -h /tmp -a ! -h /var/tmp ]; then
                mount_null /var/tmp /tmp
        fi

Sometime, you have to trust someone...
I trust FreeBSD guys ;-)

I'll give the symlink a try but, anyway, I found a way to make the
kernel crash at will. If it crashes, it means it is buggy somewhere
and it needs a fix not a workaround...

>> But I'm still wondering about running binaries from ext2fs.  I got a
>> panic when I tried this (with a linux binary).  I wouldn't think of
>> running programs from a msdos fs, but why not ext2fs?  Is this supported,
>> or has anyone else tried running linux or freebsd binaries from an
>> ext2fs partition?

I don't have ext2fs...

        Thierry Besancon