Date:      23 Feb 1999 12:14:59 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL issues

Brett,

it seems to me that freebsd-chat is entirely the wrong place to fight
the GPL. Why don't you sit back, wipe the foam off your mouth, and write
a well-reasoned paper comparing several "free" licenses, or why the BSD
license is preferable to GPL, or some such. An eloquent document to
point people to would do the community a much better service than loads
of emotionally charged, transient flaming.

For most people I know the GPL is *the* license. It's the license that
covers all that great software (Linux, gcc, Emacs, GNU *, KDE, ...), so
it must be the best, no? People tend to accept it uncritically. Now, if
I point somebody to the BSD license, the answer will inevitably be "but
it allows Microsoft to rip off my code". To make some headway I need
something to point people to that discontructs this myth.

You are spending a prodigious amount of time preaching to the converted
and putting them off of you personally. Why not do something
constructive instead?

EUR 0.02,
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de