Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:21:22 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <kat-free@kaqelectronics.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: string manipulation in a shell script

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:33:27PM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Hi guys and Gals,
>=20
> I have a simple script:
>=20
> #!/bin/sh
>=20
> a=3Dia$(date +%d%m%Y)
>=20
> tar -cf "$a.zip" "/usr/home/projects/lunaria/items all"
> mv $a.zip /usr/home/itemsall/
>=20
> this nearly does what I want, I would like to put the time in the file=20
> name aswell. If I put the %T in the date variable, the resultant value=20
> for $a has : seperating the hours, minutes and seconds.
>=20
> Try as I might, I can not find away to remove the : and tar spits the=20
> dummy at them and it causes an IO device error.
>=20
> I looked through sed and awk, and spent an hour playing, but all to no=20
> avail.
>=20
> Anyhelp apreciated,

Well, to get date(1) to spit out a date-time string without any
unfortunate punctuation, try something like:

    % date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S

See strftime(3) for details of all the % escapes you can use with
date(1).

On the other hand, tar(1) has an option --force-local which causes it
to ignore colons in filenames as indicating a remote tape drive.
Nb. that's gnu tar, which is the standard tar in all 4.x and any
5.x-RELEASE -- 5.2-CURRENT will shortly switch to bsdtar, and that
will probably work differently.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20