Date:      01 Nov 2003 11:43:16 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        knomadness <knomadness@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: M/B Bios Settings

knomadness <knomadness@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am new to the unix, lunix and freebsd systems. I am
> familiar with bios settings for win98se and xp,
> however, i am not with freebsd or otherwise.
>
> I have 2 machines that i am building. one has a
> Gigabyte GA-7VRXP(2.0) m/b and the other has an Asus
> A7V333 m/b.
>
> In my bios settings, how should I set them for freebsd
> 5.1?;

Mostly, it shouldn't matter.
Remember, however, that 5.x isn't really intended for neophytes.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html

> In Features Setup; Interrupt Mode- PIC or APIC?
>
> Are there any other bios settings that freebsd
> requires or accepts?

Don't change any BIOS settings from their defaults except to deal with
observed problems.

> When setting up the video card configuration in
> X-windows, how do you indicate or direct it to use the
> AGP slot not a PCI slot?

Usually, by inserting a video card into an AGP slot instead of a PCI
slot.  If you have both installed, then the answer kind of depends on
why you did that; the PC architecture doesn't deal well with such a
configuration.

> Are there any other idiosyncrasies that i need to be
> aware of?

It's usually best to try the install and deal with problems, rather
than trying to anticipate problems that wouldn't have occurred anyway.