Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 10:45:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Raymond Wiker" <raymond@orion.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot kernel

Danny writes:
 > Well, I messed up again.  :)  I tried to install a Solaris emulator that
 > involved patching some kernel source files.  I re-compiled the kernel, but
 > it wouldn't boot.  When I tried to boot to it, I got:
 >
 > elf_loadexec: archsw.readin-failed
 >
 > I didn't feel like messing with it, so I booted to kernel.old, CVSup'd to
 > get the "real" sources, re-compiled it with the good ol' 3.1-STABLE source
 > with no patches, and I got the same thing.  Just to be safe, I tried it
 > one more time.  Nothing.

	Another "me-too" from me - I think this is a new personal
best(?) for me...

	My home machine shows the same symptoms. One of my work
machines showed similar behaviour for a short while, but is now
behaving in this respect, at least.

	My home machine is set up for triple-boot (Win95 for
games, FreeBSD-3.1 as my preferred platform, RedHat Linux 5.2 for
looking at a specific product that doesn't work under Linux). It has
been upgraded from 2.2.2 via 2.2.5 and 2.2.6, 2.2.8 and now
3.1-RELEASE. I don't know if this is significant; it could possibly be
some old executables that interfere.

	The problem showed at about the same time that I installed
31upgrade.tgz (neccessary for ports-stable). I saw that this upgrade
included an updated ld-elf.so.1, so I replaced this with the original
version. This didn't work... My next try will be to deinstall
egcs-1.1.2 and see if that helps. Then again, maybe I should try
nuking the entire kernel source tree and try again with a fresh copy...

	What's the recipe for building a debug kernel, by the way? Is
it sufficient to give the "-g" flag to config?

	//Raymond.