Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:49:11 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Unhappy Adobe Customer <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Unhappy Adobe Customer <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com> types:
> What do you folks think about the "draft" SSSCA?

It's the logical next step after the DMCA, and sucks ever so much more
so.

> If this passes, I think it could essentially outlaw "free software",
> "open source" or whatever you want to call it.

A lot depends on the licensing of the "required technology". That may
well be patented and require a per-user license fee. Some of the
proposed technologies have NDA's all over them. If you can't release
source to those technologies because of NDA, then it kills open
source. If you have to pay a per-user license fee of some kind, it
kills free software. If neither of those are true, then it won't make
any difference.

Even if we miss both of those land mines, the implications are rather
frightening.

> Even if this isn't done by law, getting software support for
> crippled hardware may be all but impossible. What do you think?

Again, the proposed hardware solutions all have nasty licensing
attached to getting development information - which makes supporting
that hardware difficult.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.