Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:59:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, pst@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/gen getpass.c

As Paul Traina wrote:

> Two points:
> (a) you two just changed the semantics of this routine, you need to check
>     all of the callers to make sure THEY block SIGINT and SIGTSTP.
> (b) This is a bad idea if you use ^C or ^Z as part of your password, which
>     was legal.

>   From: "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>

>   >   Don't block SIGINT in getpass(3); this doesn't make sense.
>
>   It shouldn't block SIGTSTP, either.  (The calling program should if
>   it's important.)

Paul:

* Where have you been on Dec 10, when i've been asking in -current
  (Subject: getpass() and SIGINT) whether somebody objects?

* No, this hasn't changed the behaviour of getpass() in accepting any
  of the signalling characters; they had to be quoted with ^V (or
  whatever your lnext character is set to) anyway, as well as for
  example ^\.  The only change is that the ^C interpretation is now
  immediate, while you first had to press enter in order to see the
  effect of you intr previously.

Garrett:

* No, _blocking_ the signals isn't the right thing to do in any case.
  It has only been done to avoid the tty hassles involved (turning
  echo on/off).  Well, i just noticed that we should install a SIGINT
  handler anyway (i didn't notice this on tcsh since it's restoring
  the old tty settings itself, but it's very obvious if you interrupt
  a `su' attempt right now, say on plain ol' csh).  So it's perhaps a
  good idea to also install handlers for SIGTSTP and SIGCONT as well,
  in which case we could also avoid to block SIGTSTP.

--
cheers, J"org