Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:05:54 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Leonard Ong <Leonard_Ong@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Update

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Leonard Ong wrote:

> So in other words, in time when we are learning, we need to
> reinstall all over again and again.

Why do you need to reinstall? FreeBSD != Windows, you really only need
to install it on a system once.

>it wouldn't efficient if i have 2.2.6
> kernel and cvs it to 2.2.7 ( Kernel only src-sys ).

Why?

> Is there a way like in li*ux that we d/l the whole kernel sources than
> untar/ungzip them to get the latest kernel ? instead of 'CVS' it ? That way
> i never have to update to internet each time i reinstall my system.

If you're updating sources only, CVS traffic is pretty efficient. IIRC,
only updated sources will be transferred - much more efficient that
transferring all the sources all the time.

> The last questions is,  I want to use Fat32 and Vfat features available
> only in 2.2.7, and i'm using 2.2.6. Should i update the kernel only or
> should i update other part too ?

It is always safer to update userland and kernel at the same time.

Jonathan Chen