Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 95 13:46:03 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ls_length in struct linker_set

> > Consider that most of the items that get "linker sets" have manifest
> > constant kernel options to get them in in the first place.
>
> The entire intent of my work in this area was to ELIMINATE the
> manifest constants in the first place.  It should be possible to add a
> new static filesystem to a kernel simply by dropping in an object
> module, with no recompilation necessary.

Then you need to fix i386/i386/autoconf.c; I've made a healthy
start in this direction.

> > Then consider that you might have a non-self-hosted porting environment
> > that doesn't support linker sets. 8-).
>
> Using whose linker?  I considered this question for all of five
> minutes, and concluded that it was not worth any more thought, since
> anything that we do with these things can be trivially implemented
> using C++ constructors, and any reasonable build environment will
> provide some facility for making C++ work.

IBM's AIX linker on the Motorolla Ultra PPC 604.

And without C++, a linker that supports C++ mechanisms is relatively
useless (unless you happen to know the magic incantations for it).

Or the DEC OSF/1 linker on the Alpha 21066 box.

Because even with a GNU build environment, the GNU linker fails to
operate correctly.

It's a porting issue.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu