Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:23:46 -0700
From:      Keith Young <keith_young@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD v4.8: mount w/ 'input/output error"

I apologize for what is probably a very simple question, but I have not
been able to mount my cd so as to transfer a file from it to my
system.  Looking at the /etc/fstab I can see "/dev/acd0c,
mountpoint=/cdrom, fstype=cd9660, options=ro, noauto, dump=0,
pass#=0.  From what I could determine these are all defaults.  I have tried
the following commands: mount cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom; mount -t cd9660
/dev/acd0c /cdrom; mount cd9660; mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom.  The
result is always a message "Input/Output error."

I purchased v4.8 on cd's, and had no trouble loading it onto my systems.  I
booted from floppies (couldn't get bios to boot from cd) and then inserted
cd to finish installation.  I have tried changing the fstab, eliminating
the option of noauto, so that the system would mount the cd on startup, but
I got the same message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, on a previous posting I saw instructions to "ls -l /dev/acd*" and then
to "cd /dev && rm /dev/acd* && ./MAKEDEV acd0".  Would this have any
bearing on this situation?

Thanks,
Keith