Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:53:24 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 and FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

>On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Jeff Lynch wrote:
>
>> The only problems I've had with 2940UWs on fbsd2.1.5-2.2.1 have occurred
>> when we mix wide/narrow devices on the host adapter or attach a narrow
>> (of course) external tape drive. Leaving the bus all wide or all narrow
>> and all internal has never given us problems.
>
>The servers we have that keep blowing up have only a single internal DAT
>on the narrow bus and a single internal UW HDD on the wide bus.  It most
>common for a tape error to lock up the machine, but they also lock up
>with the same symptoms when no backups are being done.

   Hmmm...Do you have a narrow->wide converter than has termination for the
upper (wide) data bits? I had a lot of problems here with using a narrow
drive on a wide controller until Justin pointed out that the upper bits have
to be terminated. I fixed the problem by putting a wide device at the end
of the same cable that the narrow device was on (thus providing full wide
termination).

-DG

David Greenman