Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:11:53 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: -lpthread

> > > What's wrong with the -pthread option to gcc? (egcs as well?)
> >
> > >From FreeBSD:
> > A FreeBSD specific option ... gcc -pthread ....
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >From Solaris 2.6:
> > POSIX
> >    cc [ flag ... ] file ...    -lpthread [ library ... ]
> >                                ^^^^^^^^^
> > >From Irix 6.5.2f:
> >    cc -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L app.c -llib0 -llib1 ... -lpthread
> >                                                         ^^^^^^^^^
> > It was just brought to my attention that our use of -lc_r was non-standard.
> > Solaris, Irix, Linux, and I believe even AIX all use -lpthread.
>
> Its my understanding that the goal, though now delayed for a long time,
> is that the FreeBSD user threads would eventually be re-implemented as
> kernel threads and be placed in libpthread. I understood that the
> libpthread name was reserved for this migration.
>
> Also, in most implementations, -lpthread is in addition to -lc, whereas
> in the FreeBSD user thread library, -lc_r replaces -lc as well as -lpthread.
> What you suggest would make a lot more sense if libc_r was pulled apart
> into separate libc and libpthread libraries.  It wouldn't be hard to do
> with the current setup.

I know this is a kludge, but it appears that a simple symlink from libc_r.*
to libpthread.* would accomplish this.  My only goal is to make us
"more standard".

--
David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd