Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:11:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@wasteland.calbbs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Assembler - new version?

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, James Raynard wrote:

> > Is it possible we could see a new version of the GNU assembler for -STABLE
> > anytime soon?
>
> Not unless someone finds the time to port it. :-(
> (Perhaps NetBSD have a more recent version we could "borrow"?)

Right. The current gas doesn't support i386 BSD a.out shared libs.
We've been bemoaning this in the NetBSD world for some time now
(having a somewhat greater need for cross-compiling than the FreeBSD
folks), and there's a distinct possibility that something's going
to be done about it between NetBSD 1.3 and NetBSD 1.4. If any
FreeBSD folks want to pitch in, drop me a note any time after
December 1st. (I'm far to busy trying to make a 1.3 release for
the Alpha until then.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates