Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:30:00 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1=E8=20=C0=B1=C1=A4?= <talley@neowiz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a question related to NFS

Please don't send MIME to the list.  It makes the archives
unreadable.

> I have been operating NFS server that mount data from storage(NAS)
> on FreeBSD4.2-RELEASE.
>
> I got problem that it automatically reboot itself at peak time more
> than once in a day.
> I guessed that is kind of FreeBSD BUG related to NFS.
>
> So, I upgrade FreeBSD version FreeBSD4.5-RELEASE because the release
> note mentoned "A number of bugs in the filesystem code, discovered
> through the use of the fsx filesystem test tool, have been fixed.
> Under certain circumstances (primarily related to use of NFS), these
> bugs could cause data corruption or kernel panics."
>
> But It still reboot itself once or twice in a day after upgrade.
> there were no hints in /var/log/messages. It just automatically reboot
> at peak time suddenly.
>
> Has anyone heard of this kind of problem?

1)	Is the NAS running FreeBSD?

2)	Is the client running FreeBSD?

3)	Is the NAS rebooting, or is the client rebooting?

4)	If it's a FreeBSD machine rebooting, what does the
	"netstat -m" say, for several samples leading up to
	the reboot?

If it's a FreeBSD box rebooting, you are probably running
out of mbufs for some reason (probably bad tuning for the
load you are putting on it, but also possibly a bug).  If
it's a bug, everyone would be complaining about it, so it's
probably not a bug, it's probably tuning, if it's the FreeBSD
box.

-- Terry