Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:07:20 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        dinoex@freebsd.org, Niclas Zeising <zeising@daemonic.se>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/png status, when will 1.5.13 appear in ports?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> wrote:
> From my original post:
>
>> I think graphics/png is at 1.5.12 in FreeBSD ports but 1.5.13?
>
>> Does anybody know when 1.5.13 will appear or if there is a particular snag?
>
> Niclas Zeising <zeising@daemonic.se> responded:
>
>> Since we are in a feature freeze, and graphics/png is the dependency of
>> a lot of ports, I don't think we'll see it in before 9.1 is released.  I
>> am not the maintainer however, so I'm only guessing.
>> Have you tried to update the port yourself, and send the patch as a pr?
>
> I hadn't thought of that, but if I could do that, it would help me better
> understand and work with the ports framework.  But would anybody commit it?
>
> But png-1.5.13 was released upstream some time before the FreeBSD ports
> feature freeze.  Yes, I know graphics/png is a dependency of many ports, from
> the +REQUIRED_BY file in /var/db/ports/png-1.x.y
>
> Tom

First, try contacting the maintainer, dinoex@.  It's possible that
Dirk already has the update ready and waiting for 9.1-release. If not,
he would probably be happy to have someone else provide a head start.

While the formal freeze has not been in place for long, an informal
freeze for a few ports has been in place for a while. The port
maintainers of things like Gnome, which have potential for massive
impact, have been holding off on major up-dates. graphics/png is
pretty much on the same category.

Once 9.1 is out and has had a bit of time to be sure that there are no
major surprises, I expect a really massive churn in ports. This is
fairly typical for new releases.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com