Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 13:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Makefiles incorrectly set LDADD

> Some programs incorrectly set LDADD with "="  and not "+=" in the Makefile.
> I found this when attempting to replace BSD malloc by Doug Lea's malloc.
>
> Examples:
>
> date/Makefile:LDADD=    -lutil
> mv/Makefile:LDADD=      -lutil
> ps/Makefile:LDADD=      -lm -lkvm
> rcp/Makefile:LDADD=     -lkrb -ldes
> sh/Makefile:LDADD=  -ll -ledit -ltermcap
                ^^^
LDADD should not be set with a += in a Makefile unless that Makefile
has mutliple LDADD lines with in it.

> Why is there no "+=" ? Is this intentional ?
gndrsh# cd /usr/src
gndrsh# vi `kfind -l LDADD+=`

Look at a bunch of them a notice that we seem to be very inconsistent
here, but the ones I look at may have LDADD's in ../Makefile.inc that
I did not check for.