Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:24:14 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "'Andresen,Jason R.'" <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Firewall Logic (was: RE: Firewalling for PPP Connections)

	Umm, the problem here is the given idea of what a firewall does.
There's more than one definition for firewalls.  Basically, they offer
protection to the machines on the "private" side, protecting them from
the "public" side.

	Now, a firewall can be a machine, or it can be a program
implementation.  Most often on here, we talk of a firewall machine, yet
there are those who do not have LANs yet want the protection offered
by the implementation of a firewall.

	The difference in this respect would be how the firewall would
forward packets.  In a firewall box/LAN setting, it would forward packets
to other machines on the network.  In the single machine setting, it
would only allow applications/etc. to use packets that pass through the
filter as being "good".

	Perhaps this user is wanting to set up a form of protection for
their dial-up PPP connection.  It doesn't seem all that strange to me.

--- Andy