Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 18:55:36 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this (SCSI) tape drive compatible with FreeBSD?

As John Fieber wrote:

>  I do have an archive viper, but as I think I
> mentioned, it isn't working too well anymore and backing up 3gb
> of disk is damn tedious with it.

:-)

I've indeed been backing up my 1.2 GB disk with a TDC36xx (QIC-150
drive).  Doing a level-8 restore from 6 tapes (3 x DC6250 + 1 x DC6150
for the level 0, 1 x DC6250 + 1 x DC6150 for the level 8) was indeed a
little messy...

> What is the scoop on TR-4 drives such as the HP T4000 and Seagate
> T8000?

I wouldn't trust them much.  The SCSI errors i've seen from those
Travan tapes were suggesting a very lousy SCSI implementation.
They've even omitted SCSI commands that are clearly marked being
mandatory by the standard, let alone the usual optional commands most
drives do actually implement.

>  What is it about DAT or 8MM drives of similar capacity
> and read/write speed (on the spec sheet at least) that makes them
> cost about 50% more?

Ask the question the other way round: why are thos Travan tapes that
cheap if proven good mechanics still costs an arm and a leg?  The only
answer i can think of is that this is just throwaway-ware, not
designed to survive forever.  Today's DAT drives often last only about
a year or two when being in daily use.  Go figure how long a Travan
tape might do it...

--
cheers, J"org