Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 1995 16:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Angelo Turetta <turetta@trust.stylo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atapi.flp boots but doesn't recognize..

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Angelo Turetta wrote:

> "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > I'd appreciate even *one* success report, folks!  As it stands now,
> > without more feedback I'm just going to drop the idea.  I haven't
> > heard *one* successful probe report, not one! :(
>
> The ATAPI floppy worked for me.
> Well, actually, let's say it didn't work worse than in 2.0.5R :-)

I guess I'll have to keep trying.  I promise to resup and try to build my
own ATAPI boot floppy soon, perhaps it will work better if I build it
myself?  At any rate, I'll keep you posted if I get something better
together.

> I've three major concerns about ATAPI CD-ROM support:
>
> 2) It's not possible to use the IDE CD-ROM as the secondary
>    device on the IDE BUS if the master device is not present:
>    I know this is conceptually right, but the CD-ROMs ship
>    jumpered as slave by default, and often they come with an
>    additional secondary IDE controller on which they are the
>    only device. I know it hurts, but all flavours of Windows support
>    this configuration. I've tried to hack myself the driver, but I
>    concluded the job is not in my capabilities :-(  (basically,
>    don't know enough FBSD & ATAPI internals: in fact,
>    I gave up when I started experiencing strange lock-ups,
>    but I hadn't still figured out point 1)  ....)

Good point.  Note that all flavors of Windows only have to support IDE
CD-ROM when you explicity tell it you have one, that's why they can be
more aggressive with the probing (especially since you need a special
driver to support hard drives on the second controller in Windoze, unlike
FreeBSD).

--- Jake Hamby