Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2013 23:51:45 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap: understanding pkg-gen.c
References:  <CALCpEUHj_Mke_njM0NwzCUa1f_pXZdCy3_aaqJtKz5NUJUU8Mg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BjYyoxpLEoz0kHm8Hikfgf8Fke-o_ctkO3fKBdGqEz7wQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUG1dM9Z6OG1BqRAPAfHciANXxaYVpezDEOUNug22QN6HQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUGi%2Boaq9JftSWX%2BR-UL%2BCVHaYwpmjvzksKANjhLcn-niA@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUFA6Z3ASgKFKPsWjt1HfUCFNM1iAhSte5ChNHLpi6oJLw@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUFJu_S2Q-EPOV1dm7q5aDYe%2BZj_MgkVoAwQP047KV8suw@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUGd837x5vNmsCXrUGV=0St7a0LeXXeOeNbLQOR8h8bgKw@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2Bg0K-TfyZTjoY=oSp6rDuqT=AMiJBdyaxMxTOMUO03MzQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM, hiren panchasara <
> hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  Thanks Luigi.

>> Thanks to Juli, I realized that I was doing it wrong.
>>
>> Trying to _send_ pkts from ix1 via netmap and looking at ix1's _receive_
>> buffers.
>>
>> I am setting up another machine with ixgbe to have 2 different machines
>> for proper testing.
>>

> since you have a dual port card, you can actually run the experiment
> on a single machine, connecting the two ports with a
> cross cable and run the sender on ix1 and the receiver on ix0.

Thanks but for now I have 2 machines with ixgbe to play with.

> But you will still see traffic only to one queue, because
> pkt-gen by default uses the same DST-MAC address so the
> way you configure RSS is irrelevant.

What/where is the exact logic/code of how card determines what traffic goes
to what queue?
Is it based on DST-MAC always?

> What you could do is, when prefilling the buffers, use
> different mac or ip addresses. There is some unfinished
> code in pkt-gen.c to implement that.

I see we are not playing with g.dst_mac.name much.
Let me know if you have unfinished code sitting somewhere I can look.

Thanks,
Hiren