Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:54:47 -0700
From:      Debbie Pelletier <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hardware Support Issue

I'm sending this to you because I do not have a clear idea who it
really should be sent to, and maybe you do...

   Anyway...

   We can now officially add the Alpha Telecomm UTA120 ISDN Terminal
Adapter to the "tested hardware" list. It will operate in V.120, HDLC
Transparency, and PPP/Multi-Link PPP mode quite nicely under FreeBSD
2.2-Stable without any alteration to existing user-/kernel-mode PPP
drivers (note that PPP/MLP modes are the preferred modes here in the
US). It has been specifically tested under 2.2.2R and 2.2.6R with no
incident.

   Interestingly enough, I was assisted by the Technical Support Staff
at Alpha Telecom (I live in the same town), and after a bit of
discussion, they expressed an interest in solidifying unix support for
their products (ISDN terminal adapters and routers, mostly)--as I was
the first client who has ever gotten anything of their to work under
unix (nobody has ever tried before, I'm told). But there does not appear
to be an ISDN development group to become a part of, and I have no idea
who to talk to about starting one myself.

   It seems a shame to waste a potentially valuable resource like Alpha
Telecomm--its part of a multi-national consortium of large electronics
firms (like PanVest, Fuakowa and Mitsumi aka Panasonic). They are also
about to OEM the UTA120 to BlackBox, and it is likely we will see more
of their TA's in the near future. They have a website at:

   http://www.alphatele.com/

   I have a brief summary of my experience with the UTA120 at:

   http://www.advicom.net/~avalon/unix-spt.htm

   And if you have any questions, or would like me to write something a
bit more in-depth about the UTA120 (or ISDN in general), please feel
free to email me.

--Rick Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
Quietly Fighting the Micro$oft Sub-Standard

I can be reached at:

avalon@advicom.net
dcsi@hiwaay.net
rjpell@lycosmail.com