Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:30:16 GMT
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/79659: cvsweb cannot cope with %

The following reply was made to PR www/79659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To: Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc: freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org,
	FreeBSD Gnats Submit <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:24:15 +0100

 On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:40:09AM +0000, Dan Langille wrote:

 >  Your investigation prompted me to check my local repository which
 >  uses cvsweb-2.0.6.  cvsweb has no problem with that file.  I see that
 >  FreeBSD is using FreeBSD-CVSweb 2.0.6.  It has a problem with that
 >  file.
 >
 >  This suggests that the problem may not be with cvsweb, but with
 >  something else.  The error message:
 >
 >  Bad Request
 >  Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
 >
 >  A grep of the repo projects/cvsweb does not find "Bad Request".  This
 >  also suggests it could be something other than cvsweb that is
 >  displaying this message.

 It's Apache.  From the CHANGES file in Apache 0.8.15:

   *) Reject paths containing %-escaped '%' or null characters [David Robinson]

 Googling seems to suggest that this was done because it was deemed
 forbidden by RFC 2396, which is not the case.

 Ceri
 not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)