Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 21:00:40 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        craigs@venus.os.com, JSINNOTT@pomona.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for SCSI card?

    >> Take a look at the Buslogic 946C.  It is a very good PCI
    >> busmaster.

    Michael> Bollocks, and a complete waste of money.

Unless you don't have BIOS support for the NCR, or have an IDE or a
custom floppy from which you can boot (floppy? euyuck!).  In that
case, the BT946C really shines.  I think Jordan has one, too!  Neener,
neener, neener!  :-)

    Michael> Spend less than $100 on an NCR 53C810-based SCSI
    Michael> controller, and treat yourself to a nice dinner on the
    Michael> change.  The NCR chips are troopers, and perform just as
    Michael> well.

That's the drawback of the BT946C ... I haven't eaten dinner in
months!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it.
Probably, the gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the
back and said, "Hey, good job."  -- Jack Handey