Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:23:43 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Decent 100baseTX PCMCIA card wanted

On Mon, 06-Sep-1999 at 10:59:26 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a PCMCIA card that can snoop a
> heavily loaded 100baseTX LAN using a Celeron/300.
>
> I've tried a 3Com 3C574BT, but it's far too slow (basically, it can
> just keep up with a 10baseT network).

I just asked the same question on -mobile. I have got an
"Intel" "EtherExpress(TM) PRO/100 PC C" but I can't get more
than about 1.3 MBytes/sec through it. It appears to be a driver/hardware
issue:

/*
 * Card interrupt handler: should return true if the interrupt was for us, in
 * case we are sharing our IRQ line with other devices (this will probably be
 * the case for multifunction cards).
 *
 * This function is probably more complicated than it needs to be, as it
 * attempts to deal with the case where multiple packets get sent between
 * interrupts.  This is especially annoying when working out the collision
 * stats.  Not sure whether this case ever really happens or not (maybe on a
 * slow/heavily loaded machine?) so it's probably best to leave this like it
 * is.
 *
 * Note that the crappy PIO used to get packets on and off the card means that
 * you will spend a lot of time in this routine -- I can get my P150 to spend
 * 90% of its time servicing interrupts if I really hammer the network.  Could
 * fix this, but then you'd start dropping/losing packets.  The moral of this
 * story?  If you want good network performance _and_ some cycles left over to
 * get your work done, don't buy a Xircom card.  Or convince them to tell me
 * how to do memory-mapped I/O :)
 */

and

          /*
           * Now get the packet, including the Ethernet header and trailer (?)
           * We use programmed I/O, because we don't know how to do shared
           * memory with these cards.  So yes, it's real slow, and heavy on
           * the interrupts (CPU on my P150 maxed out at ~950KBps incoming).
           */

Since it is named EtherExpress I thought it would be a good deal :-(

	-Andre