Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 19:25:11 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT Reply-To: (was: Multiple copies)

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:22 +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 14:20 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> >
> > One way to resolve this could be to change the majordomo
> > settings of the freebsd mailing lists so that the "Reply-To"
> > field is set to e.g. freebsd-stable.
>
> NOOOOOO!  Please don't!
>
> Sorry, but having suffered from this braindead "solution"
> before I will always argue against it and don't even want to
> hear people honestly suggest this.  See
> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for the reasons
> why this is simply wrong.

I've had a report from Stephen that this URL is dead.  A quick
search for "reply AND harmful" on www.google.com turned up this
link and others which all worked fine (could have been some cache
still providing the documents).  So here they are for the
interested readers:

http://www.halisp.net/halisp/reply-to-harmful.html
http://blue-labs.org/BlueList/doc/reply-to-harmful.html
http://marc.merlins.org/~merlin/perso/reply-to-harmful.html
http://www.hackvan.com/pub/stig/rants/reply-to-considered-harmful.html

and in case none of these work, Stephen and me could provide you
with copies. :)

And yes, I'm well aware of the "counterpart" / reply at

http://www.metasystema.org/reply-to-useful.mhtml
http://marc.merlins.org/~merlin/perso/reply-to-useful.html

and while I agree with its aim (mainly to preserve bandwidth and
not have recipients edit group-reply address lists) I do not at
all agree with that Reply-To munging(!) is the solution.  The
only proper solution I've seen so far is the list-reply function.

The "reply-to-useful" statements tumbles down as soon as the
flawed assumption that Reply-To is something the list admin can
fumble with without breaking the sender's request is obsolete.
Once the Reply-To can only be *added* by the list admin
(something the "useful" document says, too, no matter of the
"munging" title) and will _not_ be added when the sender supplies
one, POLA is hurt even more and we end up with an inconsistent
behaviour.

So I ask those complaining or wishing for a munged Reply-To field
to bug their MUAs' authors to implement the simple and useful
list-reply function.  Best in combination with deletion keys
available when editing replies, with HTML messages after three
random (and difficult) questions only, and other useful features
one could actually consider basic and natural. :>

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net