Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 23:06:05 -0600
From:      Daniel Robbins <drobbins@gentoo.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   VXA-1 tape drive not probed in 4.0-STABLE

Hi,

I'm having a good amount of trouble getting my favorite OS to
recognize my new Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive.  I'm running FreeBSD
4.0-STABLE (updated 1 day ago).  I'm fairly certain it's a FreeBSD
issue rather than a hardware issue, since the tape drive, cabling,
termination and SCSI ID and BIOS settings appear to be adequate for
Windows NT 4.0.  The basic problem I'm having is that my VXA-1 is
simply not being probed.  Period.  I've tried "hard-wiring" the
settings in my kernel config, and many other things.  Here's
additional info:

Host Adapter: Buslogic BT-958 UW firmware 5.06J
It has a narrow internal 50-pin connector, to which my Plextor CDR is
attached.
It also has a wide internal 68-pin connector, to which my Quantum
Atlas II and my VXA-1 are connected.  *MY ATLAS II IS FOUND*, the
VXA-1 is not.  They are on the same cable.  Interesting, no?

Here's more information.  My VXA-1 is at SCSI ID 5.  When I type:

# camcontrol rescan 0:5:0

I see the VXA-1 light flash.  So FreeBSD and the VXA-1 are able to
talk, something is just breaking down somewhere.  And here's even more
information -- output from a camcontrol debug session I had a few
minutes ago (note -- at this point, I have removed my Atlas II drive
to simplify my SCSI setup.  My VXA-1 is recognized by AutoSCSI BIOS on
boot but *still* not by FreeBSD):

Script started on Wed May 17 23:01:50 2000
# camcontrol debug -Ic 0:5:0=0D
Debugging enabled for 0:5:0=0D
# camcontrol s=08 =08rescan 0:5:0=0D
Re-scan of 0:5:0 was successful=0D
# camcontrol devlist=0D
<PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R820T 1.06>     at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)=0D
# argh!=0D
bash: argh!: command not found=0D
# camcontrol -=08 =08debug -Ic 0=0D
Debugging enabled for 0:-1:-1=0D
# camcontrol rescan 0:4=08 =085=08 =08=08 =08=0D
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful=0D
# camcontrol devlist=0D
<PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R820T 1.06>     at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)=0D
# camcontrol reset 0=0D
Reset of bus 0 was successful=0D
# cam c=08 =08=08 =08control rescan 0=0D
Re-scan of bus 0 was successful=0D
# camcontrol devlist=0D
<PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R820T 1.06>     at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)=0D
# eek!=0D
bash: eek!: command not found=0D
# exit=0D
Script done on Wed May 17 23:03:21 2000

Please help me get this wonderful tape drive working under FreeBSD.
Anyone who helps me to get my VXA-1 working will receive an official
favor IOU from me.

Best Regards,

--=20
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@gentoo.org>