Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:37:26 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        maret@axis.de
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: xl driver for 3Com

> I don't think that so many collisions are normal! I think there is a
> problem, because at work we nearly only use 3COM 100 Mbit cards and
> don't have much collisions. Even under high load!

Collisions on half-duplex Ethernet are *normal*. Get used to it.

Collisions is the standard flow control mechanism for half-duplex Ethernet.
The amount of collisions you get depend on the cards used, the amount of
traffic, and several other things. The amount of collisions is also not
very interesting - the amount of *traffic* is.

If you connect two hosts to a hub and run ttcp, to push a lot of traffic
between them, you're very likely to get a 50% collision rate - with only
two hosts. This is because *every* ack collides with a normal full sized
packet. This is also perfectly fine and healthy.

What you want to watch out for, is:

- Late collisions (these are *not* normal)
- Collisions when you think that the link is in full duplex mode.