Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:11:21 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCCARD problems with 4.1-release

Greg Smith <gregsmith59@hotmail.com> probably said:
> Some of the settings included in the GENERIC kernel are not optimal for a
> laptop.  I would try building a custom kernel with:
>
> options     PNPBIOS
> device      pcic0  at isa?
> device      ed
>
> This will get both devices off of IRQ 10, which may already be used by the
> PCI bus.

Well, that depends on which vaio he has - my Z505HS wouldn't work in
polling mode. But yes, the generic kernel needs a lot of tweaks to be
happy on a laptop.

device          pcic0   at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

is the only working one for my Z505HS. My 505TR needed different
iomem and memory settings in pccard.conf.

I'd also suggest commenting out eveything you don't need to make the
kernel smaller and produce fewer conflicts, taking the unit numbers
off all the drivers for pcmcia cards you want to use (like 'device ed'
above) and;

device          apm0    at nexus?
device          pcm

> Also, verify that the io and irq values in pccard.conf are reasonable for
> your machine.  On my laptop only irq 9 and 11 are available;  io 0x110-0x160

I use 10 for the pcic, have turned off parallel, IR and such and have;
irq     5 7 15

> machine.  Windows Device Manager will give you a very useful report of all
> resources used;

I fairly often end up with devices in different places between freebsd
and windows - a useful guide but not always set in stone.

> If that doesn't work I would report back the output of dmesg.  Also, if you
> set up the Sony as dual-boot I would report back the output of the Device
> Manager's Print output.

Telling us what model of vaio would also help - there is probably someone
else here with one working fine.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu