Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 05:26:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   BSD Consortium mission

I'd like to begin to list the expectations and requirements that
we have for this organization.

This will allow us to see if we have enough commonality of needs
to continue this discussion, or it may become obvious that we don't
have enough in common.  Maybe some of these needs will be supplied
by FreeBSD Inc. when we what that organization's mission is, and
others will be supplied by a StarBSD consortium.

Now some pleas:

Try hard to list what we're looking for and avoid attacking
other individuals perceived needs, slamming other organizations,
or in general elevating this to anything in upper case.

Try to keep this thread fairly focused on the topic to make it easier to
collect this in a single document.

As a start, my biggest need for an organization is more "marketing"
oriented then many:

Requirement:  To add to the credibility of *BSD in the non-internet
community by providing marketing materials, by acting as a liason
with the press, and by looking like a good engineering base for
software.

Rationale:  I want to use the freely redistributable 4.4Lite derived
operating system in my business as a basis for projects in cooperation
with similar small outfits, and to be able to sell these 4.4Lite
system as part of a solution without having that be much of an
issue.

One of Hellmuth's requirements is:

Requirement:  To standardize the programming interfaces, lkm's,
device driver interfaces and shared libs.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936