Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:44:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Anton Voronin <anton@urc.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VoxWare driver

On 12-Apr-99 Anton Voronin wrote:
> Hello,
> I heard that voxware is going to be kicked off the system. Is it really
> right?

An attempt was made, actually, to do just that not too long ago (in fact,
they actually *did* it, in -current).  A bunch of us kicked up enough of a
fuss in the current mailing list that they put it back for the time being
(thank goodness!).

> It seems to be maintained still, because it was quite changed since
> FreeBSD 2.2.x.

Well, one of the arguments made for dropping it, actually, is that it's
*not* being maintained anymore, unfortunately.

> It supports some cards that Luigi's driver doesn't (like
> non-pnp GUS), and it implements midi interface.

Exactly.  While I'm certainly glad Luigi's driver does exist (without it,
I'd never have gotten my friend's Ensoniq PCI sound hardware to work at
all, for instance), the loss of MIDI (and other) functionality brought about
by a premature removal of Voxware would be A Very Bad Thing, IMHO.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>

There are two types of people in this world, good and bad.  The good
sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.
                -- Woody Allen