Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:07:04 +0200
From:      Francesc X.Noria <fxn@retemail.es>
To:        Eric Six <erics@sirsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell Script Question.. (perl maybe be better?)

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:36:33 -0500
Eric Six <erics@sirsi.com> wrote:

: I have  a perl script I am running to collect statisics from a few different
: routers.. I want a report on a specific column in the report however.. the
: text files look like this
:
: Col1		Col2		Col3	Col4	Col5	Col6	Col7	Col8
: Col9	Col10	Col11
: n/n/n		n		n	n	text	text	text	n
: n	n	text

If each row is in its own line and the wrapping in the original message
is due to mail clients, I guess this one-liner filter would help:

    perl -ne 'print((split /\t/)[-1])'

It would be used like this:

    $ perl -ne 'print((split /\t/)[-1])' <all_cols.txt >just_col11.txt

-- fxn