Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 05:09:57 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giving users static IP adresses with pppd

On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 11:41:59 -0700, Robert Ricci
<rricci@theonlynet.com> wrote:

>We have a terminal server we've built that uses cyclades cards and pppd
>to handle incoming calls. Right now, people dialing in get an IP adress
>based on which modem they happen to connect to. Is there a way to set up
>pppd so that it will give certain users their own IP? For example, I
>would get the IP adress 206.29.203.20 , no matter which modem I connect
>to?
>Thanks.
>
>Robert Ricci
>rricci@theonlynet.com

place a .ppprc file in each user's home directory containing

     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy # ip's of local and remote hosts

where:
xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the server (the FreeBSD machine)
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the IP address of this user

For either of the above the user's (client) ppp MUST be set up to
negotiate a dynamic IP address. Implementation of this varies from
client to client, but usually it involves setting 0.0.0.0 in the
client's PPP setup.

(From Doug White's web page http://resnet.uoregon.edu/ppp/)