Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:55:55 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Subject:   Re: RealTek 8139 PC Card

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:20:44 -0800
"Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a realtek 8139 pcmcia network card to work with
> FreeBSD, it was working nicely with linux using the standard 8139 driver
> so I'm sure the card is good.  I have the rl driver compiled staticly into
> the kernel, but I'm not sure if this works with pc cards as the device
> isn't present when the system boots, do I need to remove it and just use
> the module?
>
> I looked in the /etc/defaults/pccard.conf file and found no references
> to any realtek drivers, do I need to add one?
>
> The following line from pciconf I believe identifies the realtek card,
> but I'm not sure:
> none1@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0xb18b0e11 chip=0x4c4d1002 rev=0x64
> hdr=0x00

Bellow is a "normal" on board 8139 card, maybe it helps:

rl0@pci0:19:0:  class=0x020000 card=0xe0001458 chip=0x813910ec rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device   = 'RT8139 (A/B/C/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

> Also, is there any program with nicer output like lspci or cardctl ident on
> linux?  I would think there should be some program that can translate
> those ugly device/vendor ids into nice pretty names.

pciconf -vl

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user