Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:09:59 +0200
From:      Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
To:        "'sthaug@nethelp.no'" <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: xl driver for 3Com

Hi,

> Collisions on half-duplex Ethernet are *normal*. Get used to it.
>
> Collisions is the standard flow control mechanism for
> half-duplex Ethernet.
> The amount of collisions you get depend on the cards used,
> the amount of
> traffic, and several other things. The amount of collisions
> is also not
> very interesting - the amount of *traffic* is.

Well as i described in a previous mail to Bill Paul, i tried to
transfer two times 30MB of data via samba:
At first I tried my FreeBSD machine and I got about 800-900 collisions.
Second I booted on the same machine linux and I only got 4 (!) collisions.

Bill Paul said to me that the FreeBSD TCP/IP is probably much faster.
Well I'm sure that he is right, but from my point of view it
didn't take longer to tranfer the files with linux.
Anyway, i promised Bill Paul to measure exact values. Then we will see.

I have no problem with thousands or millions of collissions, as long as
they don't crash my computer. I just want a running system.
And as my NT machine didn't crash on transfering a huge amount
of data from a linux-server I have to think that this is a bug in
something FreeBSD related. The only difference I could see between
the two configurations were the collissions and as somebody on the list
said there were problems with the xl driver under high load i wrote a
letter to Bill Paul.

I think I will simply switch to another card. Someone on the list
said that their customer didn't have any problems after switching
to intel cards. I don't want to switch back to linux again, because
FreeBSD is much smoother.

> If you connect two hosts to a hub and run ttcp, to push a lot
> of traffic
> between them, you're very likely to get a 50% collision rate
> - with only
> two hosts. This is because *every* ack collides with a normal
> full sized
> packet. This is also perfectly fine and healthy.
>
> What you want to watch out for, is:
>
> - Late collisions (these are *not* normal)
> - Collisions when you think that the link is in full duplex mode.

I will do further investigation to get more detailed infos.
Unfotunately I'm very busy at the moment but I'll post more information
as soon i get some results.

Alex