Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 09:36:30 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Joe Park <joep@doubletwist.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping up to date with FreeBSD

On 9/9/00, 2:54:58 AM, Joe Park <joep@doubletwist.com> wrote regarding=20
keeping up to date with FreeBSD:

> Hello,

> I have been refreshing my freebie manually, following instructions=20
from
> complete FreeBSD.  Now that I get more comfortable with this, I want=20
it to
> organize it and put it as cron job.  I have 3 machine running freebie,=
=20
and
> before I used to have source tree for each machine.  Seeing this as=20
waste of
> space and cpu power, I decided to have one machine to hold all sources=
=20
and
> other two machine to NFS mount on it. (the /usr/src directory).  On=20
source
> server machine, I got updates with cvsup, made world, and rebuilt=20
kernel
> successfully.  On client machine, I moved /usr/src to /usr/src_og and
> created link to server's /usr/src mount point.  On Complete FreeBSD=20
3rd
> edition, it says "make reinstall" is available for this purpose.  I=20
was not
> able to make reinstall, and looking at Makefile tells me that=20
reinstall is
> gone.  So, I tried "make install" and it was throwing errors -- can't =

fine
> certain files.  Then I just tried "make world" and it worked.  My=20
question
> is, is there way to avoid "make world" again?  I already built the=20
world, so
> I don't see why I have to build it again on client machine.  Am I=20
missing
> something here?  I mounted /usr/obj directory to server's /usr/obj=20
directory
> just in case, but no differences.

> Please enlighten me on this and CC to my email address.

> Thank you.

> Joe

Dear Joe Park,

I am afraid you have not applied the appropriate procedure.=20

The {kernel,world} build "sequence" changed -- for good reasons -- on=20
July, 10, 2000. If you have cvsup'ed, you will find the advised (ie=20
supported) source update method in /usr/src/UPDATING; which important=20
file is explicitly mentioned in the handbook -- see below.

Specifically, you may wish to read the the make world chapter (cf=20
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html). You might also want=20
to have a look at the questions at the end of the chapter.

In particular, you may wish to search the -stable archives for the=20
thread "Multiple NFS installworld"; which thread has more extensively=20
covered=20
the "homonymous" topic.

Finally, subscribing to the -stable mailing list is of considerable=20
help in this connection; if you cannot track the -stable forum (e.g.=20
time reasons), you might periodically browse its archive (please visit=20
http://www.freebsd.org/mail), and retrieve all the information=20
relevant to the update and/or management of the OS.

Best regards,
Salvo