Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:29:34 +0800
From:      David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher speed mutexes

Petri Helenius wrote:
> David Xu wrote:
>
>> I will have low overhead pthread library available soon, for
>> simple mutex, it is only an atomic_cmpset_long() plus a function
>> call (pthread_mutex_lock) overhead.
>>
> Sounds great. Will this change the performance of rwlocks or is simple
> mutex preferred for performance sensitive applications?

because we use simple mutex to protect rwlock, if simple mutex is
improved, rwlock should be improved by this side effect.

> Is this something that I could drop on top of RELENG_5 or RELENG_5_3 or
> is CURRENT required?
> Do you have this in some public depository already?

you can browse my perforce repository, it requires -CURRENT and when
I put it to public, it will need newest -CURRENT kernel. ;-)

http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/davidxu%5fthread/src/lib/libthread/thread
> Pete

David Xu