Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:29:20 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        rgrimes@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jakob Alvermark <jakob@alvermark.net>, FreeBSD Developers <developers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: testers needed: loader: use display pixel density for font autoselection

<freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>=20
>>> On 23. Feb 2021, at 17:53, Jakob Alvermark <jakob@alvermark.net> =
wrote:
>>>=20
better;), but my own ability to test is limited to one bugged supermicro =
and one MBP with retina display?
<https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849>;
test with different resolutions.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Hi Toomas,
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I tested on five different setups.
>>>=20
>>> Surface Pro 10.6"@1920x1080:
>>>=20
>>> The loader menu looks different, the "FreeBSD" text is on the right =
side of the screen.
>>=20
>>=20
>> I think, this was the lua script bug we did fix not too long time =
ago.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Otherwise, the font size is what I would call a normal size.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Acer laptop 11.6"@1366x768:
>>>=20
>>> Menu looks fine. Almost fills the entire screen.
>>>=20
>>> The font feels a little too big.
>>=20
>>=20
>> The laptop built in displays usually do not give out EDID (we get =
physical dimensions from EDID), so there we fall back to try to get =
80x25 terminal method.
>=20
> I am having a hard time with that statement.  EDID is very common on =
laptop screens, infact I can not recall ever not seeing EDID on a =
laptops builtin screen.
> My 11" acer 1400 has EDID in it.
>=20
>=20

If there is EDID, then it is all good. I have seen cases we do not get =
it with available API.

>>>=20
>>> Thinkpad built in 13"@1920x1080:
>>>=20
>>> Menu looks fine, but a little slow.
>>>=20
>>> The font size is a little to big for my liking. When drm loads and =
mirrors the screen to my external 27" it looks comically large.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> There is another issue - once DRM will kick in, we should re-consider =
the console attributes, like fonts, but at this time, the kernel itself =
only can use what was built in (8x16), or what loader was offering =
(default if present). So it is up to user to act there.
>=20
> It would be really nice if DRM could pick up what the resolution and =
font was when it loaded!

it should do more, my supermicro X10SAE is ony doing 800x600 with UEFI, =
it has dell 27=E2=80=9D 4k monitor connected. VBE can get 1600x1200 from =
the same set. What I would like to see is, once KMS is attached (i915), =
I=E2=80=99d like to get bets possible resolution and appropriate font. =
But thats something for future work.

>=20
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Thinkpad external 24"@1920x1200:
>>>=20
>>> Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
>>>=20
>>> Font size is fine, but once drm loads it looks a bit squeezed (like =
thin and tall), but I guess that's drm detecting the built in 1920x1080, =
and the external display is stretched.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Thinkpad external 27"@3840x2160:
>>>=20
>>> Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
>>>=20
>>> Font size is fine.
>>>=20
>>> Looking at the dmesg though, it says: VT(efifb): resolution =
1920x1080
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Jakob
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Those cases .. I suppose the menu was still at left side, not in =
middle? The thing there is, our menu is designed for 80x25 screen, with =
respective constants.=20
>=20
> SO again... why are we deviating from that causing us issues?

You have misunderstood - the current menu code *is* built for 80x25 - =
the menu frame size is fixed, logo/brand locations are constants and so =
on.

>=20
>>=20
>> many thanks for testing,
>=20
> I have downloaded your modified loader, and put it in place, it shall =
get tested on my next reboot, which should be soon as 13-BETA4 should be =
popping out soon.
>=20

thank you!

rgds,