Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:57:38 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@geocities.co.jp>
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGML->HTML: entities translation is broken for non-Latin1charsets

Hiroki Sato wrote:

>  In addition, there seems some "&#160;" in www/ru/index.sgml.
>  They should be replaced with "&nbsp;".

	We ran into this problem at work. The &nbsp; type entities are
definitely the way to go, and should be preserved in the final HTML
output. You don't want the numerical ones because they may decode into
something entirely different in someone else's character set. Any decent
HTML reference has a list of them, I can dig mine out if no one can find
one.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"