Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kazaa on FreeBSD

In case any of you have, as I do, a couple of teenagers at home who are
ardent about KaZaA and are driving you nuts because they insist on a
Windows box to run it on (or if you just want to run it under FreeBSD),
the steps that worked for me are:
Make sure you have Linux_base6.x installed (it complains a LOT with 7.1)
and make sure to get the Linux version of the program archive

1. Download the archive
2. gunzip and tar -xf it
3. (Read the documentation, it's not much)
4. brandelf -t Linux kza
5 insert this line into /etc/fstab:
linproc                  /compat/linux/proc linprocfs           rw 0     0
6. mount the new linprocfs (umount -a followed by mount -a works nicely)
7. From inside the directory where you installed kazaa (kza-0.401,
probably) type : ./kza
8. Follow the directions and you should have a working kazaa

9. Copy the kza file to /usr/local/bin and all your users can eat
bandwidth at an alarming rate.

I know this is no great shakes, but at least it will give me some moments
peace from the "but I don't want to use the Unix machine" noise at my
house.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT