Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adam Bozanich <abozan01@ccsf.edu>
To:        Monah Baki <mbaki@whywire.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdm+xfce4

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Monah Baki wrote:

> Hi all, I'm running freebsd 5.1, and trying to use gdm login manager and xfce4. At the login
> username, if I login as root or a normal user, I get a SESSION MENU dialog box
> CHOOSESESSIONLISTWIDGET and I can only choose 2 options DEFAULT/FAIL SAFE and CANCEL,
> and nothing happens in either case.
>

> Thank you

Hi Monah.

Try creating a file in /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions ( or maybe
/usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions ) called  xfce.desktop with these lines in it:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xfce4
Exec=custom

That "Exec=custom" tells gdm to use your regular .xinitrc file to set up
the session, just like it would if you used 'startx'

So you would want something like this in ~/.xinitrc:
exec xfce4

I hope this helps

-Adam