Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@ver1.telmex.net.mx>
Cc:        Dan Benjamin <dpb@mail.hqs.crc.com>, Stefanos Kiakas <stefanos@ringworld.uniscape.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: salesman is thinking.....

Personally, I use Tcl/Tk apps....don't know how to write them, but I know
how to compile and use them.  That's because I'm just a user, not a
programmer.

I also use KDE...because it looks nice, it works great, and
makes life on a Unix workstation so much easier.  I don't have to mess
with any rc files or anything like that.  KDE is simple...point and click.
That might be "icky" to programmers, but it's nice to users.

What's the point of the computer revolution (newer faster chips, faster
motherboards and video cards, etc) if we're stuck using CLI all the time.
Sure, it's quick and dirty, and sometimes easier...but GUI tools can be
just as good, if not better.

Sometimes I'm compelled to say, "Out with the old, and in with the new."
In other words, let's dump the old methods and develop new methods, but I
know that many would disagree.  Hell, even sometimes I would too.  I
understand that CLI tools are alot smaller and less memory dependent than
alot of GUI tools. And, on a Unix system that has a heavy workload....you
many not want the drag.  So, a CLI enviroment is a good thing.  But that's
the beauty of Unix...if you only want CLI...then don't install X.  If you
want GUI, then install X and associated tools.  It's all up to the
user/administrator.

Anyways...as I read back...it seems like I'm just rambling.  Sorry.  But
my point is...average Users coming from a Windows world need tools that
are just as easy to use as those found in other OS's (you know which I'm
talking about...don't need to say it).  Those easy to use graphical tools
would make FreeBSD a bit more attractive to them.  Powerful + Pretty =
more people using FreeBSD for whatever reason.

Well, at least that's my opinion...which may not mean much.  :)

Oh yeah, one more thing....let's try to steal people away from Linux.  :)
Actually, I'm migrating from Linux to FreeBSD.

Joey Garcia

Joseph Garcia
Downey, CA
bear@pacificnet.net
"Dont drink and drive, you might spill the beer."