Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2018 17:11:54 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks.net>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel CPU design flaw - FreeBSD affected?

On January 2, 2018 4:56:48 PM PST, Michael Butler <imb@protected-networks=
=2Enet> wrote:
>On 01/02/18 19:20, Cy Schubert wrote:
>> This Linux commit gives us a hint=2E
>>=20
>> https://lkml=2Eorg/lkml/2017/12//27/2
>
>Sadly, the articles I've read to date make no mention of which Intel
>silicon revs are vulnerable=2E However, the use of the PCID feature,
>which
>is only available on more recent CPUs, does seem to afford a slightly
>lesser performance hit when completely splitting the kernel and user
>address space mappings :-(
>
>	imb

Yes=2E

You can see if your cpu supports pcid using cpuinfo from ports=2E Then loo=
k at input line 0x07 in the hexdump=2E  Bit 0x0a of rbx will indicate if in=
vpcid is available=2E We simply need to manipulate a copy of cr3 and reload=
 it=2E

My amd gear in my basement isn't affected but my laptop is=2E It supports =
pcid but not invpcid=2E

There will be a performance hit=2E Looking at the Linux patch, looks like =
the workaround is optional=2E I would suspect not through a sysctl, that wo=
uld be silly=2E

---
Cy Schubert
<Cy=2ESchubert@cschubeet=2Ecom> or <cy@freebsd=2Eorg>
-- small keyboard in use, apologies for typos and autocorrect --