Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 16:18:34 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: America the Beautiful

> The more interesting question to me personally is how long *Minnesota*
> will remain a part of the Union.  (Not long I hope.  Better a dead

I wonder if you're really serious here..  It's kind of amusing, but
I've had a lot of my european friends ask me what America is going to
do in the next 50 years now that we're at end-of-empire and sort of
generally sick of playing self-appointed policeman to the world
(Vietnam was sort of the beginning of the end in many, many ways).

I say that we'll still be here, just fragmented into a bunch of
nation-states.  New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada will probably be one
independant territory, I expect the northies to go their own way
(Montana/North Dakota, etc) and California, of course, will finally
acknowledge the obvious and become its own country.

No idea whether or not the transition will be peaceful thought.
Depends on how attached the Federalists are to the idea of a complete
Union.  My feeling is that the writing on the wall will be there for
many years before the first official break-away, and by then everyone
will have had time to get used to it.  That is, unless you silly
Minnesotans jump the gun or something.. :-)

					Jordan