Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:08:13 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ed1 too slow -- solved

I wrote:
> since I upgraded our gateway (486DX2/66, ASUS-SP3G, 24MB) to 2.2.2,
> I have trouble with the second (outer) interface.
[..]
> Nevertheless, the light on the network card was heavily flashing and
> tcpdump revealed that indeed data was sent and received.
[..]
> After testing 5 different cards I found that only the SMC (BNC,AUI,TP)
> (which was in at first) and a NE2000 (BNC,TP) work on the outer net.
> The others (2 SMC and 1 WD w/o TP) send and receive data (tcpdump) but
> even ping doesn't do.

> Has anybody an idea what was/is wrong ?

It seems, that the different cards are more or less sensitive to
correct termination.
The cable to the outer net was terminated with 25 Ohm (I never had reason
to measure it).
After replacing the terminator with the standard 50 Ohm, everything works
fine now !

So much for the records,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)