Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 07:58:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        itojun@itojun.org
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/4326

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 itojun@itojun.org wrote:

> >waste our time because he can't be bothered to read the instructions
> >(it has been stated over and over that you need to update some stuff
> >if you are going to run the latest ports on a release system) or at
> >least take a look at the Makefile in question before submitting a
> >bogus PR.
>
> 	anyway, there should be a way to prevent bogus PRs.
>
> 	how about one of the followings:
> 	- timestamping (already rejected yesterday, I remember)

That was a fairly simplistic and not-thought-out timestamping
suggestion.  Whoever suggested it should learn to think through
his/her ideas before wasting everyone's time with them.

A better timestamping system would compare RCS strings, but the
general problem is that there's no way to catch the case where a
port upgraded but bsd.port.mk isn't touched.  If one is willing
to let this case slide, then it could work...

After that, an automated numbering system that updates each
port's pkg/OLDEST_WORKING_MK everytime bsd.port.mk is changed is
probably the next solution.  Ugh.  Yuck.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk