Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:23:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Oh <fdragon@letterbox.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question about installation

I bought the FreeBSD CD-ROM and I tried to install the system onto my
computer, but I couldn't do it. I read the all the information on CDROM, but
I couldn't figure it out why I can't install UNIX operating system.
I have Windows 95.
First time when I tried to install the UNIX operating system, my hard drive
had about a little more than 100MB.
I think I followed the directions well, but it didn't just work. I just
ended up doing same thing/procedures. So I tried defragmenting the files and
runing scandisk. And then I compressed the hard disk because I thought there
were a lot of free disk space. So after that, I tried to install the system,
but nothing hadn't changed anything. It was same thing.

These were what I did:
>From DOS, I changed to CD-ROM drive (d:) and type install.
And then something came up which were setting up the kernel settings (I think)
I chose the visual mode:
--Active Drivers------
..
--Inactive ...------
---
so on.
I tried to set up the right one and then I save and exited.

And then some dialog came up with few lists
1...
2...
3....
4..
5.Noivce
6...
7.Advance..
..
so on.
I chose number 3 and I did setting things and then I chose number 5 to start
installation.

Some small dialog boxes came up and then ended up at this: (FDISK Partition
Editor)

Disk name: wd0
DISK Geometry: 708cyls/32heads/63 sectors=1428328sectors.

offset  size     end    name    ptype   desc         subtype flags
0       63      62       -        6     unused      0
63      1425249 1425311 wd0s1     2     fat         6
1425312 2016    1427327 -               unsued

What I understand here is that I need to create slice for next step which is
Label editor.
I selected the third one and I tried to create the slice, but I couldn't set
the size larger then 2016 so I couldn't do anything in the next step. I
think there are plenty of free space. Could you help me out what's wrong
this? or What am I doing wrong?
I would appreciate if you can help me out this. Thank you very much.