Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:38:40 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
To:        'Ludwig Pummer' <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Computer Selection Rules ( was RE: What motherboard and CPU shall i choose)

Hi Ludwig,
When I was listing things out I was not going by order of preference. I =
do have my preferences, but I know that if I list only my preferences =
someone will object to that too (might as well be hung for a wolf as for =
a sheep, eh? }:P). As for the motherboards, I know that the embedded =
networking, sound, et all, generally work fine. The reason I suggest =
against it though is for future upgrades. I have found that most =
motherboard manufacturers for some reason do not leave a way to disable =
these 'enhancements'. I do like using the all in one type motherboards =
for public access systems and for systems that do not get heavy usage =
(manufacturing floors and the like).
I'm not going to touch the comment on hard drives. No matter which =
manufacturer you get a hard drive from, there WILL be lemons among them. =
:P
We all have our likes and dislikes, and the Computer Selection Rules was =
written for people who generally do not have a clue as to the hardware =
issues. Basically if a person were to build a computer based on this =
information, they will have a 99+ percent chance of having the OS of =
their choice load and boot correctly on the first try.  =20
If I wanted to keep the goal to 100 percent, I would only list Intel MB, =
Intel processor, Seagate HD, 3Com NIC, ATI video. But that's a bit too =
narrow, don't you think?

Michael Akers
M. Akers Enterprises