Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:06:44 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ale@ale.org, kplug-list@kernel-panic.org
Subject:   Re: regex w/ sed and bash expression

this was, on the fateful occasion around Sep 27 00:21 -0400,
sent by David S. Jackson

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make a variable expand to include a list of
> filenames with braces and parens as part of the filename.  (The
> files are mp3s with brackets and parens, etc, in the filenames
> themselves.)  I just want the resulting expansion to insert an
> escape character infront of spaces and special characters so the
> shell can find them.
>
> Example:  don mclean - american pie (uncut version).mp3
> and [John Wayne]-[Pledge_of_Allegiance].mp3

hi again david,

how about this...

# echo '[ ] popop l' | perl -p -e 's#([\W])#\\$1#g'

...that will also escape the 'new line', as in...

\[\ \]\ popop\ l\

...you can always adjust \W character class as appropriate, of course.

sorry if i seem perl-happy, but i rather not deal w/ sed-shell
interaction related to escape/quoting.