Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Newlin <jnewlin@tsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw and other security questions

Hi,

I have a very simple setup at home.  One static IP that my wife and I share,
so I setup a computer running FreeBSD to do NAT via natd.

This setup is replacing a Linux config that was hacked into
via some buffer overflow bug in sshd (my fault for not keeping
up with patches.)

It is currently up and running, but I'm a little bit concerned
over security, and also I don't quite understand some things.
Maybe someone can help me out.

1) What is the difference between natd, and ipnat.  I see natd
   runs in user-land, and ipnat appears to do the same sorts of
   things but is compiled into the kernel.

2) I'm setting up some simple firewall rules.  I see through sysctl
   that there a 3 different sets of port ranges.  Can someone explain
   where these 3 different sets of ranges are used:
     net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst: 1023
     net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast: 600
     net.inet.ip.portrange.first: 1024
     net.inet.ip.portrange.last: 5000
     net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst: 49152
     net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast: 65535

3) I've turned off all services except for sshd (which is running
   on a non-standard port.  What portranges should I open up access
   to from my internal net?  I'm assuming that this is somehow
   related to the above ranges in some fashion.

4) Why is sysylog listening on a udp port?  :)

5) chflags and schg.  Does anyone really lock stuff down with this?
   and if so, what files?

I'm sure I will have more,

Thanks,

-John