Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:25:44 GMT
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcp wrappers + portmapper with libwrap fails

I've been upgrading one of my machines recently, and I finally got round
to installing tcp_wrappers 7.5.

I hacked the port makefile and patch to use 7.5 instead of 7.4 (which may
mhave security problems) and it all installed fine, including the added
dynamic library in /usr/local/lib.

Then I recompiled the portmapper to use libwrap.

I rebooted the machine to test everything ... portmap failed because
it couldnt find the dynamic libwrap - this is before ldconfig is run.

I've fudged it in the short term by adding
'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib portmap' rather than just 'portmap', but I
was wondering on thoughts to fix this combination properly ...

portmap could be compiled staticly - this is a waste of memory.
libwrap could be put in /usr/lib - not the right place for it.

Any other suggestions ?

Peter.